Allen J. Ellender
U.S. Senator, La.
Fry 3 slices bacon. Remove and in fat, fry small piece of smoked ham, approximately 3 oz., diced; remove. To the fat, now add – 1 rounded Tbsp flour; brown, stirring constantly, to make a roux. If you want it thicker use 2 Tbsp. flour) Add 2 lbs chopped fine onions. Fry slowly till browned.
Add following, 1 at a time, and continue to cook very slowly for at least 30 – 45 minutes. If desired, add the bacon and ham scraps.
- 3 pieces celery, chopped
- 1 medium chopped bell pepper
- 3 pods garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- few dashes of Tabasco
- few dashes of Worcestershire Sauce
- few dashes of thyme
- few dashes of salt and pepper
- 1 lemon, use grated rind then remove white pulpy membrane and chop rest of lemon
Add to Basic Sauce:
- 1/2 can tomato sauce (not paste or whole tomatoes)
- 3 pints oysters
Cook thoroughly and add:
- 3 cups rice
- Onion tops and parsley mixed, chopped fine (about a handful)
Add enough water to make sure you have 2 cups of liquid in the pot for each cup of rice. Stir and mix thoroughly till mixture comes to a boil. Cover tightly and lower flame to simmer. Cook about 25 minutes. Do not remove lid. Test rice to be sure it is done thoroughly at the end of the 25 minutes cooking period.