Allen J. Ellender
U.S. Senator, La.
2 lb okra, smothered, after cutting in small pieces (cook slowly in fat; stir often to prevent scorching or browning) in a small pot till no longer ropy.
Add to Basic Sauce continue to cook for not less than 20 minutes.
- 4 lbs peeled shrimp tails
- 1 lb crab meat
- enough water to make the sauce a soupy consistency
Cook for about 20 minutes after the mixture has started boiling. About 10 minutes before serving add:
- chopped onion tops
- chopped parsley
Serve over rice in soup plates
Fry 3 slices bacon. Remove and in fat, fry small piece of smoked ham, approximately 3 oz., diced; remove. To the fat, now add – 1 rounded Tbsp flour; brown, stirring constantly, to make a roux. If you want it thicker use 2 Tbsp. flour) Add 2 lbs chopped fine onions. Fry slowly till browned.
Add following, 1 at a time, and continue to cook very slowly for at least 30 – 45 minutes. If desired, add the bacon and ham scraps.
- 3 pieces celery, chopped
- 1 medium chopped bell pepper
- 3 pods garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- few dashes of Tabasco
- few dashes of Worcestershire Sauce
- few dashes of thyme
- few dashes of salt and pepper
- 1 lemon, use grated rind then remove white pulpy membrane and chop rest of lemon