Miss Jo Ann Wiley
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup water – in a small saucepan and stir over high heat until shortening is melted and liquid is boiling rapidly. All at once, add –
- 1 cup less 1 Tbsp sifted enriched flour; raise the saucepan a few inches above heat and stir briskly. The paste will come away from the sides of pan and form a smooth ball in center. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds longer. Remove saucepan from heat, break –
- 1 egg into the paste and beat vigorously until the paste becomes smooth and fluffy. Break in –
- 3 more eggs, 1 at a time, beating vigorously after each addition until paste is smooth and glossy. Drop paste from a tablespoon into large mounds 2″ apart on baking sheet and bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Reduce to 350° and bake for 20 minutes longer. Cool Puffs, and split them horizontally 2/3 of the way through and fill them with Cream Pie Filling below.
Cream Pie Filling:
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
Blend in a saucepan and stir in 2 cups milk; bring to a boil over low heat. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in 3 egg YOLKS, lightly beaten, with a little of the hot sauce. Cook, stirring over low heat for 2 minutes.
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp shortening; cool slightly.
Chocolate Cream Pie Filling:
Use the above Filling but increase sugar to 3/4 cup and add 2 squares unsweetened chocolate along with the milk.
Makes from 8 to 10 puffs.