Mrs. Otta Mae Adkins
New Iberia, La. #207 OES
- 1/3 cup Orange Juice
- 1 envelope plain gelatin
Soak 5 minutes and then heat over low fire till gelatin melts. Set aside.
Into large mixing bowl:
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 2 cups sieved yams, drained first (#2 1/2 can)
- 3/4 cup fine grade vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp grated orange rind
- 1 cup brown sugar
Add the slightly cooled gelatin mixture. Add 1 at a time, beating after each 3 eggs.
- 1 tsp soda
- 1 Tbsp liquid drained from yams
- 1 egg
Beat 1 minute and add to cake mix mixture.
Pour into a greased and floured tube pan. Bake 1 1/2 hours at 325°. Or 2 greased and floured 8″ square pans and bake for 55 minutes at 350°.
After baking, allow the cake to set 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Frost when cool with:
Cream Cheese Frosting
Shake in a jar to mix well
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
Pour into a saucepan and cook constantly over boiling water till mixture is thick; boil 1 minute. Set aside to cool.
Beat 4 ounce package cream cheese till soft consistency.
- 1 cup shortening and cream in gradually
- 2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla; beat in well
Add cooled mixture and beat till fluffy. Spread on cake.