Mrs. Loduskee Ham, PM
Farmerville, La. #207 OES
- 1/2 pound butter, room temperature, cream well
- Add 2 cups sugar; cream till light and fluffy
- Add 4 eggs (save 2 whites for Icing) add 1 at a time, beating well for each
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 – 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 – 1/4 tsp soda
- pinch of salt, optional
Add all together and then add:
- 3 sifted flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
Bake in 9″ greased pans lined with wax paper at 350°; or in a tube pan at 350° for 1 hour in electric oven and 325° for 1 hour in a gas oven.
- 2 egg whites
- 1 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 5 Tbsp water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
Combine in top of double boiler. Beat for 1 minute at high speed; place over boiling water and beat till mixture forms peaks when beater is raised, about 7 minutes. Remove from boiling water.
- 1 tsp vanilla; continue beating till thick enough to spread. Frost top and sides of cake.
- 1 (3 1/2 oz) can flaked coconut