A spicy accompaniment for chicken and fish, or spoon over a block of cream cheese to serve with crackers.
- 2 cups finely chopped peeled watermelon rind, red flesh removed
- 2 cups chopped Golden Delicious apples
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
In large saucepan, combine all ingredients; mix well. Bring to boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until watermelon rind is tender and liquid is partially reduced. Store covered in the refrigerator. Allow flavors to blend several hours before serving.
Makes about 3 1/2 cups.